Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Healthy Eating for the Fat Bottomed

We may make the rockin' world go 'round, but big butts make jeans hard to get into. Trust me, I know.

Let's face it, we writers spend the vast majority of our time sitting. And sitting pretty much all day everyday is not good for the waistline, but it's also not good for health in general. We need to make sure that we put as much effort into the well-being of our bodies as we do our WIPs.

I am by no means the first writer out in the blogosphere to address this fact.

You guys might have already heard about Jamie's (Mithril Wisdom) Zombie Fitness Fridays.

Or how about Vic Caswell's (Hairnets and Hopes) Round to Well-Rounded Challenge?

These are great things to get involved in because, honestly, doing something as a group is so much easier than going it alone. In fact, I signed up for Vic's challenge last week. There's a facebook group and everything.

Now, you guys might remember the post I had last week in which I mentioned daily migraines I'd been getting for about a month. After a lot of guessing and testing theories, I came to the conclusion that I have a sensitivity to gluten. And boy did you readers come through for me! I'm still combing through all the information you shared. But I've pretty much come to the conclusion that today's "wheat" is bad for everyone. So, a lot of the recipes I share with you will reflect this fact.

I know, I know.

Eating healthy means eating bland, gross things and the end to ever enjoying food again, right?

Wrong!!

Eating healthy (at least to me*) means eating REAL. Real food is better than fake food. And yes, there's fake food out there. It's called "processed." And there's certain variations and extents to processed food, but a good rule of thumb is that if it comes in a box, it's fake (or at least has a significant portion of fake** products mixed all in with the real stuff--this is not good). Your body can't process "processed" food (see what I did there? See???? :P) as well as real food. So yeah, there may technically be less fat, but that's because your body can't digest it in the first place. Or there may be less cholesterol but that's because the real food comes from an animal and the fake food comes from a lab.

Also, I think there's way too much emphasis put on calories and fat nowadays. We're giving up food that is jam-packed with nutrients because there's a little more fat in it than its lab-produced counterpart. Instead of obsessing about just one component of good health, we should make sure that whatever is going into our mouths is the best for us.

Since starting my diet, I haven't had to do any type of portion control. I merely eat until I am no longer hungry. And I'm still losing weight.

Also, I like having control over what I eat. This is why things like weight watchers, etc. don't really work for me. I'm pretty experimental in my cooking and having someone tell me what to make pretty much ends the diet.

So the first recipe I have to share with you is something I found online and tweaked to my liking. Remember that any recipe you see can (and should) be tweaked to suit your personal tastes. Also, recipes tend to be good bases for other recipes. So I may use strawberries in the following, but you should think of other types of fruits you can use instead to add variety to your meals.

Strawberry Vinaigrette 


1 1/3 Cup fresh or frozen strawberries, chopped
   1/3 Cup chicken broth (not bullion cubes--way too much MSG)
      2 Tablespoons sugar
   1-2 Tablespoons white wine vinegar (depending on preference)
2 1/2 teaspoons olive oil
      2 teaspoons of your favorite gourmet mustard (can be dijon, if you like. I shop at Aldi and like to use their Deutsche Kuche, Mild Mustard with Herbs)***

Directions:

Place all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth. Put in an airtight container.

Remember that this vinaigrette does not have preservatives in it and should be consumed within a couple of weeks.


I use this salad dressing on pretty much every salad I make, but my favorite salad (lately) has included romaine lettuce, spinach, sliced strawberries, sliced bananas, sliced almonds, goat cheese, and chicken. And I know what you may be thinking. That to be on a diet you have to eat salad all the time. You really don't. I just happen to like salads. And that's the key. You eat what you like, but you make sure it's the healthiest it can be.

Enjoy!!

*I am by no means an expert on the subject of food, nor do I have "Dr" in front of my name or a nifty science related diploma hanging on my wall. But I HAVE done a lot of research on the subject. I've read quite a few books by people who do have those things and I've also put my research into practice. But please do your own research as well. I certainly don't want to be accused of leading someone astray. :)


**fake meaning there had to be some type of scientific manipulation to produce the end product, rather than just picking something out of the ground, or from a tree, or out of the water, etc.


***Whatever ingredients you do choose to use, just make sure there's no MSG or high-fructose corn syrup (or wheat, if you are gluten intolerant)


EDIT:

I forgot to add that when you eat, you SHOULD make sure there is some type of healthy fat with your meal. Fat helps your body absorb nutrients.

12 comments:

  1. Here is a great grain, gluten and dairy free and tasty recipe!!!!
    I swap out out the blueberries for semi sweet chocolate chips for the kids.

    Hope you enjoy!

    3 Eggs
    3 Tbsp Honey
    2 Tbsp Coconut Oil, melted
    2 Tbsp Coconut Milk
    1/4 Tsp Salt
    1/4 Tsp Vanilla
    1/4 Tsp Baking Powder
    1/4 Cup Coconut Flour
    1/2 Cup Diced Mango
    1/2 Cup Blueberries

    Process:
    1.Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
    2.Mix together your eggs, honey, coconut oil, coconut milk, salt and vanilla.
    3.Sift together your baking powder and coconut flour and then combine with your wet ingredients.
    4.Mix your batter well and then fold in your diced mango and blueberries.
    5.If not, divide your batter into 9 Muffin tins and bake for 20 minutes or until done.
    6.Enjoy!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks so good. I love strawberries. I make a point to run at least four mornings a week. My treadmill holds my book for me and I read while staying fit. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, that's a great idea! I'd probably try it out if I didn't hate running so much. :o I'm a walker, myself. :)

      And trust me, it IS good. I have a sweet tooth, so this salad dressing is great for satisfying it.

      Delete
  3. Like Kelly I run a treadmill and read. I hate running, but I love reading.

    BTW, I have a son that can't digest gluten either. Here's is the best chocolate chip cookie recipe. (It's not exactly healthy, but it's healthier...)

    Gluten-free Chocolate Chip Cookies
    1 c. creamy peanut butter
    ¾ c. sugar
    1 large egg
    ½ tsp. baking powder
    ¼ t. salt
    1 c. semi-sweet chocolate morsels
    Parchment paper/wax paper
    Preheat oven to 350. Stir together first five ingredients. Stir in chocolate chips. Drop by rounded teaspoon onto parchment lined baking sheets.
    Bake at 350 for 12 to 14 minutes. Cool baking sheet on wire rack 5 minutes. Remove cookies to wire rack and let cool 15 minutes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is perfect! I love it! And I'll have to try it soon. Thank you so much for sharing! :)

      Delete
  4. This is all good info, Emily. You made me recall visions of SNL skits when Dan Ackroyd was still there.

    What works for me is the Clean Eating method, which in essence is eating foods as close to their natural state as is possible, and avoiding processed foods. (by Tosca Reno, Kennedy publishing, - she has a line of these books most of which include recipes) It also includes info on flax (ground is better) and how important it is to eat enough protein, (which doesn't always have to be meat).

    Walking is a great way to start a fitness program, too. It eases you into the idea, gives you fresh air and lets you observe things that you might turn into a story later. Weight training is the one that will carry you forward, though, as it increases your muscle strength and the density of your bones. Women need this too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That dressing sounds amazing. I'm looking forward to trying it! Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh yes,I definitely sit too much. I need to focus on the healthy eating and exercise more. Because I sit at my day job too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lately I've had a hard time getting out and walking. That's my cure for the fat writer's bottom. Not working to well at the moment!

    ReplyDelete
  8. you and your "real" food. :P
    love this post... not sure about the recipe... perhaps if i eliminated the mus-terd? :)
    (i hate mustard so much!!!)
    looking forward to more em-like recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've been hitting my eliptical machine lately. It pops and squeaks under the weight . .

    Why do jeans manufacturers think a waiste is so much smaller than the butt?

    ........dhole

    ReplyDelete

Yay! Comments! Oh, how I do love them! :D