Monday, June 21, 2010

Monday Update

Thank you to everyone who commented last Friday! I assure you, though, Superwoman I am not. Not unless you think the inability to barely function at the end of the day is a good thing. It got to the point where I felt like my brain had been wrung out like a washcloth.

To be honest, I thought it was going to take me a lot longer to rewrite Aurumenas. The first draft took me a little over a year to write (at the time, I was proud of myself, considering my first book took me about five years), so when I faced the reality that I needed to rewrite the whole thing, I was a tad depressed. On April 5th, I posted about my new task and at the time I never thought I would actually finish in just over two months. A whole book in two and a half months. I'm still shocked, and quite proud.

So I decided to give myself a little vacation. One weekend off. I couldn't even do it. Friday night was painful. I actually had to shut my computer off and hide my thumb drive so I wouldn't work on any of my new ideas. On Saturday, I gave in.

There are actually four new ideas playing around in my brain right now, but I've decided to work on just two of them right now. One of them isn't so new, actually, but I've been waiting to finish with the major stuff on Aurumenas before starting. My Autobiographical Novel (tentatively named Army Strong for now, though I'm also considering a fobbit's tale) is coming along smoothly. Half of chapter one is done (I may have started working on it, but I really needed to cut back a little) and I'm excited with how it's coming out. I think it will turn into a comedy more than anything, with just a touch of romance and drama.

My other WIP, Hansel and Gretel is really exciting me. Now that I've established the fact that I write Young Adult Science Fiction, I've discovered my particular niche in that genre. I love bringing fantasy into the sci-fi world (look above for new subheading). I have so many ideas for what I can do with it and sometimes I wish my muse would shut up for just a moment.

I'm kidding, muse. I love you.

Also, I updated my pages (see above). I came up with a new query for Aurumenas (again) and I would like you guys to let me know what you think. Part of me really likes it, another part has some reservations. I've also got my elevator pitches for my other WIPs, so let me know what you think of them, too! Please? :D

~Emily White


By the way, Happy Father's Day to all you daddies out there!

6 comments:

  1. It's such a great genre. Especially in YA! I'm really loving it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your new WIP idea, I'm very excited to see where that goes! Congrats on finishing in 2 months. I've been in a slump recently and hoping that it goes away soon!

    I love new ideas! I recently had one myself while sitting out on the patio watching the clouds pass me by!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. both your new wips sound interesting, and your new query is super cute... love the voice in there! (length though???) congrats again and keep rolling while the steam is flowing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ya is so much fun. You are an amazing writer, Em. :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don't you just love those moments of pure momentum, where you just can't stop writing? Well done! 2 and a half months! Phew! Enjoy your well-deserved break! :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jen--Some of the best ideas come from just sitting outside and watching nature. Good luck with it! And keep me updated! :D

    aspiring-x--Thank you! I do have to change the word count, but you don't know that yet! Now, I'm very paranoid. Is there something wrong I don't know about?

    Jaleh--Thanks! *blush*

    Kathryn--I do love those moments. They are quite wonderful.

    ReplyDelete

Yay! Comments! Oh, how I do love them! :D