Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Getting Rid of Our Fat Bottoms

Let's face it. Eating healthy is hard. It's way too easy to grab a bag of chips while sitting at your desk than to get up and make something for yourself.

However! Eating healthy can be yummy!

Doesn't this picture give you a heart attack just looking at it??

Last week, I was in the mood for fish and chips. But let's face it, the normal version of fish and chips is greasy and loaded with gluten.

Yeah...not so healthy.

But! You can make it healthy just like I did. That's the fun thing about cooking. You can take your favorite meals and make them work for your diet.

Now, obviously I wasn't about to dip a piece of fish in breading or flour-filled beer batter. Instead, I took some salmon out of my freezer, thawed it, and sprinkled some salt and pepper on it before sauteing it on the stove in a little bit of olive oil. I like to use a cast iron skillet in my cooking because it's the best non-stick you're ever going to find, PLUS it infuses iron into your food.

For the chips, I merely cut up some sweet potatoes into french fries and baked them in the oven at 425 degrees with a little bit of olive oil for 35 minutes. I turned them over halfway through the cooking time. After I pulled them out of the oven, I sprinkled them with a little bit of salt.

And there it is! A healthy version of fish and chips!

My kids loved it and I will definitely be making it again.

Do you guys ever turn your favorite foods into a healthier version?

Edit: Also, there are a few winners from the ShareAthon Giveaway who haven't contacted me yet. If you entered, be sure to check!

8 comments:

  1. I've modified foods before, but it's not always the same. I try to steer clear of a lot of fried foods anyway, and I'm not exactly a fan of chips. Don't get me wrong, I love fried mozzarella and onion rings and French fries.

    Damn...now I'm hungry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We eat healthy almost every day of the week in our house (though the weekends are harder). We're actually having salmon on the grill tonight. YUM!
    Now i'm hungry...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enjoyed your post! My body doesn't seem to want to lose the weight I want it to after having my fourth kid last year and being over 30. It's a little frustrating, especially considering we eat fairly healthy and only sweets on the weekends. I think it might have something to do with not having a ton of time to devote to exercising like I used to have for some reason. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never figured out why people eat deep fried fish. I hated the stuff when I grew up in England and every Saturday we had fish and chips for lunch. Mom had to buy me something else because I wouldn't eat the fish. I prefer my salmon grilled. :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a great way to make fish and chips!

    My son can't digest gluten or casein, so we've had to alter a lot of recipes. But we're eating pretty well. Though I do get pangs for lasagna now and then.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i love sweet potatoes baked--and the wendys now has baked sweet potatoes!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes! I've turned my food into healthier versions. Even just switching from boiling veggies (like I grew up with) to steaming them is healthier. Steaming keeps more vitamins and minerals. That photo looks yummy, actually. LOL At least the frying/batter looks light on the fish. Not like KFC or something! I always oven-fry my potatoes, just like you described making your sweet potatoes! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Is there a healthy version for Reeses Pieces?

    And I left you an award my dear! http://readingwritingandlovinit.blogspot.com/2012/05/award-ceremony-time.html

    ReplyDelete

Yay! Comments! Oh, how I do love them! :D