Wednesday, February 24, 2010

That's the Way...uh, huh, uh, huh...I Like It!


Okay yes, it's late, but there's a reason, you see. I've been reading. All day, in fact. Dishes have gone unwashed and half the day went by before I even thought about picking up a hairbrush. Yes, it's pathetic, but it's what I do. When I read, that is. And that got me thinking. What is it about books that transfixes us so? How do we get swept so completely into a world that we leave the real one behind? And how do we, as writers, capture that magic in our own works?

I have a few theories of my own about this, but I want to hear from you. Do you have the answers? What in particular do you like about certain books? And how does it affect your own writing?

Tell me. I'd love to know.

~Emily White

2 comments:

  1. When I care about a character, I HAVE to know what happens next. Do they live? Do they learn? How does it end?

    ReplyDelete
  2. For me, I love the story. It has to fascinate me and open up a whole new world that I never would have imagined. Though, I must agree with you, Christi, that the characters must be endearing. The Lord of the Rings just wouldn't have been the same if we didn't care for that poor little hobbit.

    ReplyDelete

Yay! Comments! Oh, how I do love them! :D