Saturday, February 26, 2011

Book Review--The Maze Runner, by James Dashner and a Movie!

Back of the book blurb:


When Thomas wakes up in the lift, the only thing he can remember is his first name. His memory is blank. But he’s not alone. When the lift’s doors open, Thomas finds himself surrounded by kids who welcome him to the Glade—a large, open expanse surrounded by stone walls.

Just like Thomas, the Gladers don’t know why or how they got to the Glade. All they know is that every morning the stone doors to the maze that surrounds them have opened. Every night they’ve closed tight. And every 30 days a new boy has been delivered in the lift.

Thomas was expected. But the next day, a girl is sent up—the first girl to ever arrive in the Glade. And more surprising yet is the message she delivers.

Thomas might be more important than he could ever guess. If only he could unlock the dark secrets buried within his mind.

What I liked:

Pretty much everything!  Thomas was a sympathetic character the whole way through and the plot moved along at a steady (and sometimes heart wrenching) pace.  In fact, that warm and fuzzy feeling you tend to get when reading books because you know the main list of characters might get hurt really bad but they certainly won't die is in as much danger of being squashed and consumed as the characters in this book.

Few authors have made me dread as much as need to turn the page as James Dashner.  In THE MAZE RUNNER, you just never know what's going to happen, but you're pretty sure it's going to be bad.  

What I didn't like:

I wouldn't say this is something I didn't like, but it's definitely a warning.  This book is intense and should be read with caution by the younger members of the YA crowd. There were parts that made me, a 28 year old U.S. Army veteran, a tad squeamish.  

So, what kind of rating would I give THE MAZE RUNNER??

...

...

...

5 stars! 

(as in, what are you still doing reading this post?!  Go out and buy this NOW!)

Yeah, THE MAZE RUNNER just is that good, and it's a wonderful start to what I foresee as one of the best YA trilogies out there.

For your purchasing convenience, I provide you now with this link.

And now, because my kids seem to want to keep me perpetually sick (or at least sick 90% of the time), I missed yesterday's post and had to combine it with today's.  So...

Enjoy this movie!!





7 comments:

  1. Wow, that was an intense little vid clip. The book is on my list to be read, but now I'm a little wary. LOL The premise sounds really good, although if you were squeamish in parts I'm not sure it's my "thing." Thanks for the review!! and I hope you're feeling better. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hadn't heard of The Maze Runner, but it's on my list now! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a great book~ I'll put it on my list as a daytime read, just in case the squeamish parts lead to nighty-nightmares :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Woah, this looks really good. And that trailer was fabulous!

    Jai

    ReplyDelete
  5. My copy of the book is winding its way around my classroom - I haven't been able to get my hands on it yet! Can't wait :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've heard LOTS of great stuff about this book. Will definitely check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i really really really really want to read this book!!!!
    *sigh*

    ReplyDelete

Yay! Comments! Oh, how I do love them! :D