Monday, December 31, 2012

I Dreamed a Dream


I went to see Les Miserables yesterday. My aunt had come up from Alabama to visit and several of us ladies (my sisters, my mom, my aunt, and myself) decided to plan a girl's night out. Luckily, we found out just in time that the old fashioned theater in our town built in 1929 (balcony, murals, chandeliers, etc.) would be showing Les Mis. 

I'd decided to dress up a little because, well, I'm a stay-at-home mom with two kids and if I ever get a chance to dress up, I'm doing it! I wore a dress! Argyle tights! It was wonderful. And I showed up alone, which for some reason triggered one of those moments that makes me feel really grown up and fashionable. I don't know why certain moments do this, but I love them! Getting my first newspaper on the front porch did this as well. 

I know, I'm a goober. :P And really, you'd think for someone who's just a couple weeks away from turning 30, I'd have come to solid terms with my "grown-up-ness."

Anyway...(yes, I know I get lost on tangents! :P )...

The acting was, of course, phenomenal. I think we all knew that when the trailer came out, though. But I'd never really known the story of Les Miserables. I got the gist of it, but I'd never read the book and the one movie I'd seen quite a few years ago had never really held my interest enough for me to pay attention.

I'm going to read the book now because wow. Just wow.

There are certain things in the world that are so wonderful and so beautiful and captivate the soul. Les Miserables is one of those. It captured the heart of first love, misery, grace, mercy, God's love, and even humor.

It had meaning. It's worth something beyond just a form of entertainment.

I don't know what people dream, but I know what I dream. I dream of writing something that captivates the soul the way Les Mis and other works have captivated mine. I want to write something that has meaning and heart beyond just a form of entertainment.

I don't know if I ever will. I don't know if it's in my ability to portray the innermost stirrings of the soul, but I hope that I can some day.

Forget money, forget large adoring audiences. I think most of us writers get that that's not the end goal. I think that if I can get one person to say, "Wow, Emily White really gets me," then my dream will have been reached.

What do you dream? And have you seen Les Miserables yet? What did you think?



4 comments:

  1. I have not seen Les Mis yet. Chances are, we won't get a chance until it's out on DVD. But we'll see!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to see it! But I love the story... It's so unique in that it's largely about the tension surrounding a GOOD person making the RIGHT choices. He doesn't have to mess up very much for the plot to still be tense and thrilling, and I love that we can root for someone who is essentially a saint!
    Now if only I could come up with a plot like that...but I've never really seen one to compare.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here in Utah, Les Mis is a phenomenon. Every showing sells out. Women and husbands go again and again and again. There is clapping and standing ovations. It's rather ridiculous imo, so I stay clear.

    I think it resonates with the Mormon religion. A man turns from a life of crime to embrace god. A woman does everything for her child including the ultimate sacrifice: death. Those messages are strong with the LDS people.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As a story, Les Mis is incredible! The music puts it right over the top. I haven't seen the movie yet, but I can't wait.

    ReplyDelete

Yay! Comments! Oh, how I do love them! :D