Wednesday, December 19, 2012

What kind of writer are you?

This is a post I've been thinking about for a long time. Like, for almost a year. I've been avoiding it, though, because I tend to avoid talking about the big stuff. Mainly it's because I start writing and then I think, "Hey! Who do you think you are? No one cares what you think!"

Well, that may be true, but I'm going to write it anyway.

I think we focus a lot on what kind of writers we are or what we should be, but lately I've been thinking about what I'm not.

I'm not a romance writer. Period.

I like romance. I like reading it and I like having elements of romance in my works, but I don't write what a lot of people expect romance to be nowadays.

For example, if a reader picks up one of my books hoping to have tingly groin sensations, it's not going to happen and he/she is going to be disappointed. (sorry for that visual)

I like relationships. Real relationships. Between fathers and daughters, mothers and sons, friends, boyfriends and girlfriends. They're not always pretty or perfect because life isn't.

I'm not long-winded and I don't beat a reader over the head with revelations. In fact, one of my absolute favorite things to do is read books that have subtle clues I have to figure out to get to the end. And I love writing that. I love injecting little hints that readers have to be careful enough to find. One of my VERY favorite things is reading a book a second time and seeing all those hints pop out at me that I might have missed the first time. I guess because I love it so much, I want to write that way to give my readers that kind of excitement.

I'm not always serious, but I'm not always funny, either. And I don't always write to entertain. I know that's probably my big mistake. I should write good mainstream fiction, but that's not me. Or at least, it's not always me. Sometimes I like writing pure entertainment (To love or Die is a perfect example), but other times I want to write something that has meaning. Something that conveys emotion, that thrusts a reader into the shoes of my protagonist so deeply that they feel his/her every frustration or joy. Do I accomplish it? I really don't know. I hope I do. And I hope I get better at it as time goes on.

Will I be a successful writer? I guess time will tell. But for now, I'm going to be the kind of writer who stays true to herself. I won't be what I'm not just because it might be more popular.

I applaud those writers who write what is popular and I am so happy for them that what they write has seen such success. I hope they're success continues and I'll always be in the background cheering them on.

And like them, I'll always write what I love and continue to hope that someone else loves it, too.


  1. tinglies? Forget this. :oP

  2. I love fluffy YA books (think Anna and the French Kiss, etc) but I CANNOT write them for the life of me!! I totally get what you are saying here, Emily :)

  3. I don't write romance either. I just don't get it, but I can read it.

  4. Your right, I think recognizing who you are and arent as a writer is one of the best gifts you can give yourself. It sets you free.

  5. HAH! Joshua!!!
    I also write what i want to write. I think, in general, it comes across pretty commercial, but who knows if that will always be the case? But i just don't see the point of writing something i don't enjoy (and for me, there's usually some sort of tinglies going on)

  6. Don't worry, the only way one of my readers would get a tingly groin sensations from reading my book was if they dropped it in their lap!


  7. Very interesting introspection! Okay, we won't expect titillating romance from you, then. Leave that to someone else. :) Good to realize where your strengths lie! Hey...I was almost ready to read ELEMENTAL--finally--and my hubby nabbed it instead! So he's reading it. (But aw, I saw the acknowledgments in the back. Sweet! Thanks.) :) Merry Christmas, Em, and happy 2013 to you!


Yay! Comments! Oh, how I do love them! :D