Monday, December 13, 2010

'Tis the Season


Christmas song of the day: Chipmunks Roasting on an Open Fire

I don't think it's much of a secret that a lot of agents take December off from the deluge of queries they usually receive.  A lot of them say it's to get caught up with what they've already received and to spend more time with their clients' projects, but I suspect it's probably so they actually get to spend time with family.  And honestly, who can blame them?  

I know, I know.  It's frustrating to be in the middle of sending out queries and to hit December where it's almost total blackout.  But it can also be a little refreshing.  Wouldn't you like one month where you aren't a slave to your inbox?  Or a month to take a break from your novel and come back with totally fresh eyes?

So take some totally guilt-free time off!  


Make cookies!


Go caroling!

And come back to your novel in January with refreshed and ready eyes.  :)


I'm taking December off.  How about you?

9 comments:

  1. December is just like any other month for me (writing-wise). It would be different if I were querying, but since I'm still revising its business as usual.

    Enjoy your HOLIDAYS!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. oohhhhh!!!!
    i love your pics today!
    how come sugar cookies LOOK so pretty but taste so meh?
    i'm not taking december off... but december is half gone anyway...

    ReplyDelete
  3. DL--I am sitting here and enjoying my mini-vacation (with only the occasional "Oh my goodness! I need to write!" moment).

    Vic--Put some rum in your sugar cookies. It's all about the rum. Actually, I have no idea! I just channeled a bit of Jack Sparrow there. "But why's the rum gone??" hehehe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm on board with taking some time off. We're in full swing Christmas mode, so I've been taking a lot of time away from writing to cook, entertain, shop, go out, etc. I love this time of year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love those pictures! :)

    I'm still writing this December--I'm not submitting anything, and I want to finish my book this year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm not taking December off, can't afford too, but I'm being more patient with myself and those around me. It's the time to be generous to myself and others.

    Jai

    ReplyDelete
  7. Poor chipmunks!

    I'm glad December is a break month from queries. It gave me a chance to go in a new direction, once again. Maybe one of these days I'll get it right.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That chipmunks song is hilarious! And this month has been bad for writing/editing/anything to do with my stories, but more because of the weather than the holidays. Too much time spent outside clearing away snow. Again and again.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love when people are in the festive spirit :)
    I worked almost whole December, and now I'm taking two weeks off from my work, which I will spend buying presents and Christmas decorations and decorating the house :) And then cooking, cooking, baking, baking .....

    ReplyDelete

Yay! Comments! Oh, how I do love them! :D