Thursday, December 9, 2010

Goober Writers Anonymous--Melanie Schulz


Christmas song of the day: Oh Holy Night



Goober Writers Anonymous is a group for writers to vent about past or present writerly mistakes for therapeutic reasons, to educate others, or just for a laugh.  If you would like to join the group and sign up to submit a guest post, please leave me your email address in the comments below.

Perks of joining:  You get to put the nifty little badge on your blog (yes, this does indeed make you cool), sharing with others and being a part of a group is always fun, and I will put a link to your blog on my blog below under Members of GWA.

I've gotten another post from one of my gracious members and I'm  desperate, DESPERATE for more!  Free cookies to anyone who joins today!

Today's blogger is Melanie Schulz!  Melanie is new to the blogosphere and has recently completed her first draft of her first novel.  Stop by her blog and say hi!

     When I began contemplating what I would write for this Goober Writer’s post, I soon felt overwhelmed.  After all, the number of mistakes I had made, and continue to make, are daunting. I have read Emily’s previous posts and could relate to them all, could even add some that I am too embarrassed to name here.

      Instead, I wanted to write something encouraging to all of us aspiring writers. I have yet to send out my initial queries, but from the sounds of it, encouragement is sorely needed.

     We all have lists of things to do, especially this time of year. But unlike others around us, we have done something; we have written a novel.  A task so immensely challenging and emotionally draining that it’s completion is miraculous in itself. So even if the only people who get to meet our wonderful characters are our grandchildren, at least we had the balls to get out of the box of the mundane and attempt to follow our dreams.

     So on that note, Merry Christmas, enjoy the holidays with your families, knowing that you have done something others only dream of doing.

Thanks for that, Melanie!  We all know admitting our mistakes can get a tad embarrassing (query of horror, anyone?), but we certainly appreciate this little note!

6 comments:

  1. Congratulations on finishing your novel, Melanie. And words of encouragement are always welcome. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the encouragement, Melanie! and YES, it is indeed a big step to have finished a novel, because a lot of writers never get that far. Yay, you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice post, and I agree that encouragement is definitely needed!

    Jai

    ReplyDelete
  4. *basks in glow of encouragement*
    thanks melanie! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Welcome to the craziness that is publishing, Melanie. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. ah, I still haven't written a novel, but I did translate 15 of them in last 3 years, so I guess that counts as well :)

    Wishing you lovely Xmas this year, Emily :)

    ReplyDelete

Yay! Comments! Oh, how I do love them! :D