Monday, April 18, 2011

O is for Onomatopoeia


Definition of ONOMATOPOEIA

1
: the naming of a thing or action by a vocal imitation of the sound associated with it (as buzz, hiss)
2
: the use of words whose sound suggests the sense

I love the irony behind onomatopoeias.  Here you have one very complicated word to describe probably one of the simplest style of words out there.  

I don't think I have a favorite onomatopoeia.  They're all very fun to say.  Like:


or



Do you have a favorite?   



8 comments:

  1. Great topic of O. My favourites are boing, plop,woof.

    I'm looking forward to reading Elemental!

    Ellie Garratt

    ReplyDelete
  2. i didn't even know what that word meant! thanks for explaining!
    ding! (that's one right?!?!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. a slinky! No idea if that falls in the category. I suppose it makes a sliinkyyyy noise when it falls down the stairs...

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fun O post! I keep thinking of the old Batman show. Kablam! Pow! Bonk!

    Also looking forward to Elemental. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the irony, too, Emily. An ex-girlfriend of mine used to say, "Grrrr" all the time. How can you not love that for ona-lotsofsyllables-apoeia?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like them too but I never seem to use them in my writing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love those kinds of words! They make writing fun. I suppose SQUEEE! and Rawr are 2 modern exclamatory onomatopoeia-type words. ;o) I also like whizzes, screech, whisper, splat, crash, and splash.

    ReplyDelete

Yay! Comments! Oh, how I do love them! :D