Monday, August 2, 2010

Fairy Tale Blogfest/Contest

I took the weekend to ruminate and have finally settled on a great contest.  You guys will be pleased methinks.  And I'm sorry this is so much later than my usual posts, but it takes me a while to figure out computer related things and that linky stuff is a bugger.  It took me a while to find their very helpful and convenient how-to videos.

Without further ado, in celebration of this blog hitting the 100 follower mark (thank you, everyone!), I'm hosting a little blogfest/contest.

Rules:

Write in no more than 1000 words a story based on a fairy tale in a genre OTHER than fantasy.  You can do horror, suspense, sci-fi, thriller, etc. (romance is okay, but you need to add another genre with it, otherwise you'll just end up with a fantasy romance), and the plot has to be closely related to the original tale.  You may have noticed that this little blogfest is also in honor of my particular love of twisting fairy tales (see Hansel and Gretel above).

Example of what I mean:  When Cinderella's dad died, she thought her problems had just begun.  Little did she know her new sisters ate him, and were coming for her!  See?  Cinderella has now become a horror story.  Easy peasy, lemon squeezy.

You don't have to write all the way to 1000 words.  It can be a lot less than that.  In fact, if you want to write a micro-story in less than 50 words, have at it!  It just needs to be a complete tale with beginning, middle, and end and it has to utilize the cross-genre rule.

All entries must be posted on your blog on August 30th.  I will then pick my favorite five, post the links and everyone will have a week to vote.

All contestants MUST sign into the little linky below in order to be eligible for prizes.

Prizes:


Yeah, this is the part you've been waiting for, right?  Admit it, we only ever care about the prizes.  ;)

1st Place:

$100 gift certificate to Barnes & Noble OR Amazon (yeah, think of all the books you could buy with that)

2nd Place:

Need, by Carrie Jones


Blurb from the book and website:


Zara collects phobias the way other high school girls collect lipsticks. Little wonder, since life’s been pretty rough so far. Her father left, her stepfather just died, and her mother’s pretty much checked out. Now Zara’s living with her grandmother in sleepy, cold Maine so that she stays “safe.” Zara doesn’t think she’s in danger; she thinks her mother can’t deal.
Wrong. Turns out that guy she sees everywhere, the one leaving trails of gold glitter, isn’t a figment of her imagination. He’s a pixie—and not the cute, lovable kind with wings. He’s the kind who has dreadful, uncontrollable needs. And he’s trailing Zara.




AND an Iris Votive Holder from Partylite.  It's all stained glass and gorgeous.  I'd post a picture, but I don't want to take it out of the box (I used to sell Partylite, so I'm not regifting or anything).  Trust me, though, it's beautiful and definitely relaxing when you just want to sit and write.  AND three beautifully scented votive candles.

3rd Place:

A character in Hansel and Gretel based on you (first name and all) or if you don't want it to resemble you, he/she can be whatever you want him/her to be.  I'll even let you pick a wacky name.


So that's it!  It's sounds like a lot of fun, doesn't it?  Don't forget to pass the word along and sign up today! (click the little linky-do below and leave your name and blog address)


28 comments:

  1. Well - This looks like some fun. Something to do when I'm not able to work on my WIP. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh. Awesome prizes! Time to get the story juices going.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool contest and great prizes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm in!!! Sounds like fun...and different. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. omg! That is awesome! I can't decide which is more awesome: the contest or the prizes!! Squeeeeeeeee!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. nice one! time to get the ole' brain juices flowing...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hmm, maybe I'll have to see what I can come up with. Sounds like fun.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is going to be fantastic!!!! Oh my gosh what an amazing idea!!! Did you know I have an upcoming blogfest as well? 19th & 20th it's going to be fun! Stop by to see if you might be interested!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is awesome! sounds like so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yay! Thanks to everyone who's signed up! This is going to be so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've written my entry... Just need to polish it up by the 30th. Thanks for the contest, Emily! This was fun to write.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thought you'd like to know I've decided on my entry (of course it's still hush, hush) and I'm working on polishing it up now!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. omg! how fun! i'm excited :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. So...yeah, I was a little hasty with the AutoFill option today when I signed up. How, or can I even, change the blog link to my new blog? Sorry, and THANKS!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm there. This looks to be fun. Roland

    ReplyDelete
  16. ok, i entered here. now i must get to writing... ok. now. oh man. what if we all write the same idea...

    ReplyDelete
  17. All right! I signed up so I HAVE to write something. I've been mulling over it for a couple of days and I think I have it! Now to write it!

    And you are amazingly generous! Whee! Book money FTW!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Need sounds like such a good book. I'm putting it on my wishlist.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ah! You have made me break my promise to myself that I would never do a Blogfest again. This was just so much fun. *sighs happily*

    ReplyDelete
  20. I have posted, but hope am not too late! Rushing to read the other entries now :D

    ReplyDelete
  21. Gosh I'm sorry I missed this one! But I am enjoying reading the entries now - great contest!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Darnit! I missed this, but the stories look really good, everyone. :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Great entries and it looked like it was a lot of fun. Sorry I missed out this time. I hope you have another one in the future!

    ReplyDelete

Yay! Comments! Oh, how I do love them! :D