Monday, August 16, 2010

Monday Update

Happy Monday, everyone!  I hope you all had a great weekend.  Mine was fairly uneventful, but most of my weekends are.  I'm glad you all enjoyed the video on Saturday!  If I were to weigh in on that whole star trek vs. star wars battle, I'd have to say it's a fairly even divide.  If we're talking original star wars vs. original star trek, then star wars wins.  If new star wars vs. new star trek, star trek clearly dominates there.  You have to admit it--Episodes I-III were butchered.

But today is Monday Update!  And this is August!  That means I'll start querying in just a couple weeks!  Ah!  Yes, this news deserves lots and lots of exclamation marks.  Lots.

Do I have a dream-oh-my-goodness-super-agent picked out?  Yup.  That's not to say I don't also have a few equally fabulous agents on my list, but don't we all have that special someone who we really REALLY hope will say yes?

I'm a little nervous, as you might imagine, and I haven't quite decided on how I'm going to proceed.  Do I start with super agent or test the query waters with some of the other fabulous agents?  I've got a little while to decide, but it's starting to feel like I need to decide NOW.  You have no idea how badly I just want to jump the gun and start right now, but I gave myself until September to get everything ready and I'm going to stick to that deadline.  Yeah, I have to tell myself that numerous times during the day.

So, how are you guys doing on the WIP front?  Any soon-to-be-queriers out there like me?

Don't forget to sign up for the Fairy Tale Blogfest/Contest------> Click the link on the sidebar-------->

14 comments:

  1. Good luck on querying!!! I look forward to hearing your fabulous progress!!!!

    PS - I'm so excited to join your blogfest!!! I came up with my idea this weekend and I can't wait to share!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Robin--That stinks, but at least you found out now rather than later. Good luck with it! I rewrote my entire novel, so I know the pain.

    Jen--Thanks, Jen! I can't wait to read what you have! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would definitely test first, just to see if the query is working. That way you can change it before you contact said dream agent.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Matt! Yeah, I probably will test it, but my dream agent has some tricky demands that make me think about querying her first. I just finished reading Elana Johnson's "From the Query to the Call" and submitted my new query for her to critique. Hopefully, the one I send out will be stellar.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Exciting and scary to begin the query process. Best of luck with it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay, good luck with your queries! I hope it all goes well, and you get enough yes's to balance out the no's. :)

    I'm currently at 37k, and ready to rumble toward the last half!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Definitely hold out from querying until you're absolutely positive that your manuscript is ready to make the rounds; there are no do overs, so I'm glad to hear you're not jumping the gun!

    My WIP looks like the first full draft will be done around the end of November. Then I intend on letting it settle for most of December, before beginning revisions in the new year.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope you succeed finding a good agent, Emily. It's definitely not easy.
    I'm in the process of polishing one of my novels as good as possible once again, and plan to send it off to new people soon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. ooh! i'm so excited to hear about all your requests!! :)
    but very wise to hold yourself to your schedule!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Test the query waters first! WIP is stalled right now because I'm back to working. Le sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good luck with your queries, I hope you land the super agent!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You have way more patience than me! I would have the hardest time ever waiting until September! But I agree with what everyone else said about testing the query out first without other agents. Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. No WIPs ready for submission (no completed first drafts yet), but good luck with your submission goals. My goal is to finish writing something by New Year's. And I'll finally have enough time to try out some of these contests.

    ReplyDelete

Yay! Comments! Oh, how I do love them! :D