Thursday, August 19, 2010

Guess that Character Blogfest!!

Jen over at unedited is hosting a pretty amazing blogfest today.  In fact, it's a two day blogfest!  

Day One:  I post a snippet of my WIP and you have to guess what my character (Ella) looks like based only on this little bit.

Day Two:  I post a picture of my character and everyone gets to see if they were right!  Or close to being right.  Or just completely off.

Sounds like fun doesn't it?  Let's get started!  Don't forget to click this link to see all the other snippets out there!

             I spotted one of the silver containers Malik had brought in earlier on the floor, next to the cot I was sitting on.  I picked it up and ripped it open.  There was food inside.
            I moaned and opened the first vacuum-sealed package I found.   It was some kind of sandwich.  I didn’t care which kind.  I shoved it to my mouth before I had even taken it completely out of its plastic wrapper.  I’m sure it tasted good.  I didn’t really notice because by the time I had gotten the whole thing into my mouth, I was already ripping open the next one.  This one was brown and gooey, and had a sweet taste that was impossible to ignore.
            By the time I was shoving the contents of the last package into my mouth—some type of bitter drink—my stomach had started protesting.  It hit me then as the acids lurched up into my throat that I should have taken my first big meal a little slower.  I clamped my mouth shut and swallowed.  It burned all the way down.
            I threw the empty packages to the floor and lay back down on the cot, while clutching my very angry stomach.  I should have known something as simple as eating would have ended badly.  I lived in opposite world.  When I expected bad, good happened.  When I thought nothing but good could come from something, that’s when fate decided to kick me in the butt and screw me over.
            I groaned.  My food wanted to come up again—I could feel it—but I refused to let it win.  If I couldn’t control my own body, how could I possibly control the outside influences of the world around me?  No, my body would bend to my will.  I’d rather suffer than lose this battle.
            I groaned again.  It seemed my stomach was more than willing to make me suffer.  I started concentrating on the purr of the engines and the whoosh of the fans as they recycled the air throughout the ship.  And of course, Meir’s steady snores were easy to focus on.  It helped a little, but my stomach refused to be completely ignored.  When it thought it was losing, it enlisted the help of my muscles, which started twisting and pushing at my abdomen to force the food up.  When that didn’t work, it tried to reason with me.
            Just let it out.  You’ll feel better when you do.
            Typical tactics in war: when violence doesn’t work, you send your ambassadors to negotiate terms of surrender.  But I wasn’t about to succumb.  I had earned the nutrients my body now needed to function, and I certainly wasn’t about to lay just inches away from my own vomit.
            Nope.  My stomach would just have to give in and do its job.

So, what does my character look like?  Good luck!

33 comments:

  1. At the moment shabby and underfed. With a mess of brown hair. But round, intelligent eyes bugging out of a hollow face.

    ReplyDelete
  2. At first I just assumed it was a woman (don't know why) but by the end I saw a guy. Average height & build, but looking a little scrawny from not having eaten properly. In need of a shower and hair brush. Eyes are brown and haunted...but very determined to get out of this mess.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oooh, I'm seeing a super tough chick. Blonde hair and normally muscled body but might be weak from lack of movement and hunger at the moment. Kind of like a 'femme fatale'.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ella sounds like quite the character!!!

    My Guess: Currently not able to hold food, I would say about average height, great build, perfect curves. I'm thinking brown hair a little past the shoulders that's always pulled out of her face, great bone structure with an oval face. The eyes are tough, I'm going to go with brown but only to pair with brown hair... I have a feeling there is more to her than that.

    Thanks for playing! Awesome entry! Looking forward to your blogfest!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmm. I would say skinny (from the lack of food) with long brown hair and wide eyes.

    I love the voice too. Great job.

    P.S I'm a new follower *waves*

    ReplyDelete
  6. I see Keira Knightley when I think of this character, except with shorter hair. She has the thin frame, intelligent look, and physical prowness to pull it off. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. looks kind of like amanda seyfried in my imagination...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Definitely long blond hair, very slim build, large blue eyes, suprisingly muscular, medium height with long legs.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Messy brown hair, smart green eyes. Kind of pale and petite, but with a stubborn streak that contradicts her size.

    ReplyDelete
  10. a guy, probably late twenties or early thirties. Has some good physical strength and is mentally strong as well. A leader. Black hair with blue eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can't explain why but I'm picturing Milla Jojovich from the Fifth Element. Hard-core but also vulnerable.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm seeing a tall, skinny girl, late teens. Her clothes are a bit thread-bare, maybe a little institutional. Her hair is dark,short, and currently spiky.Her eyes are dark brown, and huge in her almost-gaunt face. Pale skin....

    ReplyDelete
  13. hi miss emily! yikes reminds me of when i got chemo. ick! i think its a guy cause of stuffing that food in his mouth. i dont mostly think ladies do that. i see a sailor who got sea sick and is sick in his cabin but now hes hungry but when he eats he gets sick again. hes real determined not to throw up again. i think hes a big guy and needs to shave. i see him with short brown hair and brown eyes. hes got on kaki pants and a white tee shirt but their all wrinkled cause of lying down so much. being sick make him not care so much about anything except keeping that food down.
    ...smiles from lenny

    ReplyDelete
  14. Okay, I'm seeing Annakin from the second Star Wars. I don't know where I get these impressions from! Chiseled face, even more so because he's emaciated right now. Brown, half-curly hair, intense eyes, tall and lanky.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm seeing stringy brown hair that was once thick and glossy--but has suffered severe abuse. Everything about her seems to be beauty diminished, so dull brown eyes (once very warm), greenish tan skin (a combination of sun and nausea) and a slight build. But was once very pretty, and could be again.

    ReplyDelete
  16. It sounds like she's in some kind of military camp. She's lean and hard with short tidy hair. I picture her with amber eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'll echo Matt Rush and say Milla Jovovich came to mind.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Messy hair, skinny, dirty cheeks, dry lips!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I had to reread the post, I missed that it is a female. So, obviously, my second option is my guess, LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is great!!!

    I see a young girl. scrawny. Petite. Her voice contradicts the way she looks as her voice is much stronger than her body. She's weak and a mess. Her hair, once lovely, is now an uneven mess to her shoulders thanks to a do-it-yourself attitude and a pair of dull scissors. Her clothes are ragged and dirty but she's determined to overcome her obstacle and become the strong person that nobody believes her to be.

    Are YOU ready for Mayhem?

    ReplyDelete
  21. Uh, HUNGRY. Skinny to the degree of looking emaciated, dull skin and thin, brittle hair, large eyes, petite build. My general impression is of someone sickly but scrappy, small but tough. I pictured a young female in her late teens or early 20s.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow, I have a little bit of a stomach issue today so I was totally (and literally) feeling your MCs pain. I'd say she's athletic, in control (obviously), short brown hair and big hazel eyes. She isn't feminine, but she's attractive in a kick ass way. She's about 5'8".

    Great voice and descriptions. Hope I get something right. :D

    ReplyDelete
  23. I think she's got short blonde hair, cut in a boyish style. She's tough, lean, and muscular. She's got bright blue eyes and a darker complexion. Great scene!

    ReplyDelete
  24. OO Very Hunger Gamesy - I picture long, tangled, dirty blonde hair. Very thin. Dark circles under her eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I see your character with light brown hair and large round eyes, possibly hazel? I think it's a girl, but if it is a guy I think I'd see the same type of person, just in guy form...if that makes any sense. Cargo pants and some type of ratty jacket. Blue t-shirt underneath. Hair styled in a simple ponytail or cut really short. I really loved where this was going!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wow. Ella is a wispy blonde, dark grey eyes with chiselled cheekbones,slim but athletic figure. I'm thinking she has great lips but doesn't smile as much as she should.

    I enjoyed your snippet, the voice is great. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  27. A tomboy. Dark, stringy hair. And full lips. I have no idea why. First thing that came to mind was a younger Angelina Jolie. And if it's a dude, picture Angelina with short hair.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Ooh, I see her as medium height with lean muscle, but skinny from lack of food. She's got dark brown hair and clear blue eyes, and a very angular face. I love this snippet!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Great scene, I really enjoyed it! I'm picturing a gruff dark haired tall guy with pale green eyes.

    Can't wait for the reveal!

    ReplyDelete
  30. She's short, but muscular. She has white-blonde hair and green eyes and a sculpted face. :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. Dirty, mousy brown hair, sad eyes, sunken cheeks, and pale. Oddly enough, I didn't picture this character as skinny.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Great scene! I was picturing a waif-thin girl of about fifteen, with long stringy blonde hair that hung straight as a pin down her back. Her heart-shaped face was scarred near an eyebrow, and her thin lips changed her whole face when they smiled.

    Looking forward to tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  33. She's thin and malnourished, with pale colorless hair that is raggedly cut and uncombed. She's dirty and dressed in ill-fitting clothes. Her hands are so thin that her wrist bones jut out, and her skin is pale enough to see the veins through it. Her eyes are large in the hollows of her face and darkened by shadows, but there's a fire in them. She has not surrendered her spirit.

    ReplyDelete

Yay! Comments! Oh, how I do love them! :D