Monday, April 9, 2012

H is for Harris, Carrie

A little note for everyone stopping by for the A to Z challenge:

First off, hi! Welcome! Look around, have fun. My posts will be short this month, but they'll be following a theme: Books and Authors. I'll be showcasing some of my favorites within those categories. But I'll also be having some special posts regarding the release of my debut novel, Elemental, from time to time.


Those of you with tattoos, don't forget to mail me the pictures (emilywhite_1112(at)yahoo(dot)com) by midnight (EST) on April 10th. 




Carrie Harris is hilarious! If you don't follow her blog, you must. She will make you laugh until you cry. And you know what's even better than her blog?? Her book:



It's got humor and zombies. Who doesn't want to read that?

Here's her bio:

"I was born in Chicago, but we moved to Ohio so fast that I suspect my Illinois residence doesn’t really count. It’s kind of like those people who say, “Yeah, I’ve been to NYC,” but what they really mean is they drove from one airport to the other and spent most of their time in the shuttle placing bets on which cab would get into an accident first. Not that I’ve done that.
My mom did a lot of word puzzles and read so much Agatha Christie that she could recite the books by heart. My dad worked with high tech plastics machinery. This may explain why I became a bibliophile. It definitely explains why I tackled my junior high science project with the help of one of the scientists who worked on the atom bomb.
In high school, I marched in the drum line and worked backstage in the theater. Both activities were really just excuses to meet hot geek boys. I followed my boyfriend to college, which was pretty stupid considering that I broke up with him the second week of school. That left me free to date another long string of hot geek boys and play a lot of euchre. In between dating and cards, I got a degree in English Literature but graduated with no plans whatsoever, so back to school I went. I ended up in a graduate program in Educational Statistics with no idea how the bleep that happened.
Then came the string of random jobs. First, I was a market research manager. Then I became an autopsy coordinator/statistician, which is probably the weirdest job combo in the history of the universe. Then I managed the National Prion Disease Pathology Surveillance Center, which is the fancy title for the place that researches Mad Cow disease in humans. I spent a lot of time looking at brains there. That probably explains a lot.
But all that time, I wanted to be a writer. In between all the autopsies and mad cows, I did a bunch of spec work for roleplaying games and textbook companies, which is yet another weirdo combo. I loved it. And once my kids were born, I decided I had to take the plunge. I wrote a book about supernatural creatures. Because they’re awesome.
Now I live in Michigan with my husband, who is a ninja doctor (fer real), and three zombie obsessed children. The other moms at the bus stop think I’m very weird. I think this is a compliment."

Check her out!


11 comments:

  1. This sounds great. Thanks for sharing.
    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, after reading this, I can understand how Carrie came up with Bad Taste in "Boys".

    I agree. It was an hilarious book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. what an interesting background--would love to read this, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice background information on the woman who is able to make people laugh while they read about zombies. When I read the book cover, I thought it was going to be about a romance novel, now I wonder if the main character is eating the wrong boys or something. That's about all I know about zombies...they eat brains, right? lol.

    ~Nicole
    Blog: The Madlab Post
    @MadlabPost on Twitter

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh! she's too funny! i've been wanting to read that book for SOOOOO long now.
    and geeky men are the hottest, for sure! (just take a looksie at my hubs- though he doesn't KNOW he's a geek.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love Love Love this bio. BTW this A-Z challenge rocks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fun introductions this month thanks to the challenge. I really love that cover. (And, I really like your note on your posts. Great idea and helpful. I really should do that to mine.)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't read this yet, but every time I see the cover, I'm reminded that I want to.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Replies
    1. Terrific post. The book sounds so good!

      Thanks for sharing, and good luck with the rest of the challenge...

      Delete
  10. I was just recommending this book to a friend of mine who wanted to read more books about Zombies.

    ReplyDelete

Yay! Comments! Oh, how I do love them! :D