Tuesday, April 17, 2012

O is For Orson Scott Card

A little note for everyone stopping by for the A to Z challenge:

First off, hi! Welcome! Look around, have fun. My posts will be short this month, but they'll be following a theme: Books and Authors. I'll be showcasing some of my favorites within those categories. But I'll also be having some special posts regarding the release of my debut novel, Elemental, from time to time.  




Bio (taken from his official website):


Orson Scott Card is the author of the novels Ender's GameEnder's Shadow, and Speaker for the Dead, which are widely read by adults and younger readers, and are increasingly used in schools.


Besides these and other science fiction novels, Card writes contemporary fantasy (Magic Street, Enchantment, Lost Boys), biblical novels (Stone Tables, Rachel and Leah), the American frontier fantasy series The Tales of Alvin Maker (beginning with Seventh Son), poetry (An Open Book), and many plays and scripts.

Card was born in Washington and grew up in California, Arizona, and Utah. He served a mission for the LDS Church in Brazil in the early 1970s. Besides his writing, he teaches occasional classes and workshops and directs plays. He recently began a longterm position as a professor of writing and literature at Southern Virginia University.

Card currently lives in Greensboro, North Carolina, with his wife, Kristine Allen Card, and their youngest child, Zina Margaret.


Card is one of the greats. I think it's kind of a requirement to like him if you're going to call yourself a sci-fi writer. ;) 

If you've never read anything of his, check him out!

11 comments:

  1. I definitely need to read Ender's Game. Even my daughter read it for school and really liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I keep hearing about Ender's Game... I read many of his other books, but not this one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My dad served a mission there in the seventies... hmm....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ender's Game is good. I like Ender's Shadow better.

    I laughed when I saw this post, because Sunday I finished reading his book, The Lost Gate.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rachel said what i was going to say. Ender's Game is great. Ender's Shadow is my favorite. I think it's because i like Bean more than i like Ender

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love Ender's Game - I think I read all of Card's books at one point. It's been a while and I should pick them up again :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. yup. never read any of his either...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree - he's a great author! I love Ender's Game.

    ReplyDelete
  9. He is phenomenal! I love Ender's Game and The Lost Boys. I featured him for my "c"...

    ReplyDelete

Yay! Comments! Oh, how I do love them! :D