Wednesday, April 25, 2012

V is For Victoria Schwab

A little note for everyone stopping by for the A to Z challenge:

First off, hi! Welcome! Look around, have fun. My posts will be short this month, but they'll be following a theme: Books and Authors. I'll be showcasing some of my favorites within those categories. But I'll also be having some special posts regarding the release of my debut novel, Elemental, from time to time.  


What's this? I'm actually remembering to post something before half the morning is gone? I know, it's amazing. :P



Bio (taken from her official website):

Quick Facts! Books: THE NEAR WITCH (2011), THE ARCHIVED (2013) Literary Agent: Holly Root at Waxman Literary Film Agent: Jon Cassir at CAA Publisher: Disney*Hyperion

I am the product of a British mother, a Beverly Hills father, and a southern upbringing. Because of this, I have been known to say "tom-ah-toes", "like", and "y'all". But since this is about what I write and not how I pronounce my a's, I will say that I tell stories.

I love fairy tales, and folklore, and books that make me wonder if the world is really as it seems. I love writing about doors, and places between, and the cracks where reality slips into something darker, stranger, and invariably more interesting.

I grew up on the west coast, but went to high school in the south, an all girls' prep school complete with plaid skirts I used to doodle on during math.

I went to Washington University in St. Louis, where I changed course SIX times (and would have done it a seventh time, but my family and advisors said you couldn't switch majors in your last semester). I went from Physics, to Film, to Set Design, to Art History, to English, to Communication Design.

Job-wise, I have been a clerk in a department store, where I met a very nice Erotica writer while re-hanging bras. I have been an assistant caterer and a personal chef. Because of this, I bake some mean chocolate chip cookies, can plate hors d'oeuvres, and know how to make twirling napkin towers. I was a dog daycare attendant for a few summers, and have the scars to prove it. In college, I worked in a bookstore, where I never made ANY money because I spent every check feeding my book-buying habit.
And now, I am an author. That's still really fun to say, and I feel like I need to fact-check myself just to make sure it's true.



I read Ms. Schwab's first book, The Near Witch, a couple months ago and I was blown away at her beautiful writing. It was like walking into a painting. I can not wait until her second book, The Archived, comes out. 


If you haven't heard of Victoria Schwab, I highly suggest you check her out. 

6 comments:

  1. I still have to read the book. I remember when it came out but never got around to reading it. My TBR pile was just too big at the time . . . and still is. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooh i haven't read this. I'll have to add it to my list

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh, awesome! I definitely will have to check out her books. Thanks for sharing!

    Sarah Allen
    (my creative writing blog)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another great bio - thanks for introducing me to all these new writers!

    ReplyDelete

Yay! Comments! Oh, how I do love them! :D